What do you think of when you hear the word, “Halloween?”
As a parent my first thought goes to child safety. Protecting children from predators, reviewing treats for anything harmful and anticipating the high amount of sugar our children will consume – are real and valid concerns. My biggest fear is always how we can keep children and parents safe as they go from house to house at dusk or even in the dark. Fortunately, there are some simple steps we can take to keep everyone safe during this family fun holiday.
- Know the trick or treating dates and times in your community. Due to school schedules, many communities observe trick or treating on the weekends.
- Drive with your lights on – even if it is not yet dark.
- Don’t be distracted by using your phone or other devices.
- Drive below the posted speed limits, especially in residential neighborhoods.
- Watch out for pedestrians walking on or crossing the streets.
- Watch for children as they’ll often dart between parked cars. This is an exciting time and, in their enthusiasm, they may forget to look both ways.
- Look out for children wearing dark costumes, especially at night.
- Use extra caution when making turns into driveways and neighborhoods.
- Every child under age 12 should be accompanied by an adult.
- Develop a planned trick-or-treating route with your children ahead of time.
- Educate and remind your children about pedestrian safety.
- Use sidewalks instead of roads, and crosswalks rather than running across the street. Walk, don’t run, especially from between parked cars.
- Instruct children to be aware of vehicles while crossing the street -- and always look both ways.
- Wear light-colored clothing so you’re more visible. Clothing should be short enough that it will not pose a tripping hazard.
- Carry a flashlight.
- Make sure masks don’t obstruct your child’s vision. Consider using makeup instead of masks.
Halloween is an exciting time of year for both children and parents. From minions to motorists, safety is everyone’s responsibility.
Lee/O’Keefe Insurance Agency
2501 Chatham Road
Springfield, IL 62704
217-528-5679 ext. 111